We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The cherry tree is a fruit tree, easy to grow, very appreciated for its delicious cherries.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Prunus cerasus
Family : Rosaceae
Type : Tree fruit tree
Height : 6 to 15 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary
Foliage : Expired -Flowering : April _ Harvest : May to July depending on varieties
Planting, caring for and pruning the cherry tree will allow you to have a beautiful harvest of cherries.
Cherry tree plantation
The cherry tree plantation is an important step because, well done, it promotes the good growth of your fruit tree, the fruiting of the cherry tree and therefore the harvest of cherries.
The better it will be planted and the faster it will produce beautiful cherries.
- It is advisable to plant the cherry tree in the fall to promote rooting.
- A sunny location is essential to produce cherries.
- The plantation in spring is possible, but subject to watering a little more in the 1st year after planting.
- Choose grafted cherry trees to make cherries.
- Check out our planting tips.
Cherry tree size
This is a controversial subject because the cherry tree pruning tends to weaken the tree and also becomes the source of many diseases.
However, it is sometimes necessary to prune if the cherry tree becomes too large or if certain branches become too fragile.
- The cherry tree not supporting the size, it must be reduced to the strict minimum.
Remove dead, fragile or broken branches.
- If a branch breaks, immediately apply a healing putty on the wound.
The healing putty prevents the appearance of diseases and fungi.
If you have a too big cherry tree, cut it in august or september and immediately protect it with a healing sealant.
Cherry tree diseases
The cherry tree is a fruit tree considered sensitive. It should therefore be pruned as little as possible because each size is a source of entry for mushrooms in particular.
- Cherry fly : Cherries are attacked by fly larvae and holes form in cherries.
- Aphids : The leaves of the cherry tree curl up and lose their original color, they turn yellow or discolour.
- Scale insects: A white or pinkish cluster with a mealy appearance forms on the branches and leaves
- Moniliosis : Cherries are rotting on the tree.
Birds that eat cherries, what to do?
Beware of the devastation that birds in the cherry tree.
Birds can rob you of the harvest in just a few days.
- The ideal is to use a safety net against birds that are bought in specialized stores.
- They can be deterred by putting aluminum foil or old CDs on the branches.
But the birds quickly familiarize themselves with this kind of stratagem ...
Varieties of cherry trees
If you are planting several cherry trees, mix the varieties to stimulate pollination and therefore fruiting.
If you only plant one, choose one so-called self-fertile variety as the bigarreau summit where the bigarreau sweetheart for your desserts and preserves.
The bigarreau cherry is a sure bet among the cherry trees. Among the bigarreau, let us retain the best known such as the Burlat cherry, Cœur de pigeon or gros Cœurlet, Esperen, Hedelfingen, Napoléon, Rainier, Reverchon, Stark Hardy Giant, Summit, or even Van.
It is essential to plant a self-fertile variety when there is only one cherry tree because without it you will not have cherries.
You can also choose the Montmorency cherry tree, its fruits will allow you to make delicious clafoutis that will amaze and delight your children as well as your guests.
To know about the cherry tree
An essential part of our gardens when we want to plant fruit trees or create an orchard, the cherry tree presents many advantages.
He has one beautiful bloom late which stimulates fruiting.
The cherries of the cherry tree to eat are plump, sweet and rich in vitamin C. But we find among the many varieties, cherry trees giving fruits that are sometimes very acidic, large in size and more or less sweet.
It practically adapts to all climates and requires little maintenance or special watering.